About the House
Click above to play Video clip about The Old Vicarage from Channel 4
Designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott, this 1860s listed house has been lovingly restored by Paul Gerrard. Set in the beautiful Welsh Marches, on the site of a Norman castle, overlooking the medieval village church and with views across the hills of Herefordshire, The Old Vicarage is a perfect place to unwind.
Relax, on arrival, with afternoon tea and home-made scones in the gracious drawing room, or in summer in the garden. The house brims over with period details: brass and mahogany beds, elegant gas, oil and early electric antique light fittings, gilded bell pulls, delicate glass lampshades�. Rich colours abound, along with sumptuous fabrics and period wallpapers.
The bedrooms are authentic, with comfortable, original beds and have fine views across the Marches hills towards Herefordshire. All the bathrooms are en suite.
The Old Vicarage, a member of Wolsey Lodges, is recommended in Alastair Sawday's Special Places to Stay Garden Lovers Guide, The Rough Guide to Wales and The Lonely Planet Guides to Great Britain & Wales
George Gilbert Scott (1811-1878) was a leader of a movement he called the 'Gothic Renaissance'. He set up one of the first 'modern' architecture practices and was engaged during his life in building and restoring hundreds of churches and other buildings across Britain. Always admired by lovers of Victoriana, his work is currently undergoing a revival in popular interest because of recent major renovations of his most famous designs: The Albert Memorial, the Midland Railway Hotel at St Pancras Station, the Foreign & Commonwealth Office and the magnificent Gothic Revival Choir Screen from Hereford Cathedral, now reassembled in the Victoria & Albert Museum. The renovation of St Andrew's Norton and the Old Vicarage are the only two examples of Scott's work in Radnorshire - his output can also be seen in Hereford and Brecon Cathedrals and the earlier Vicarage at Eastnor, near Ledbury, Herefordshire.